In some of the previous studies, we have studied the Parables of the Sower, which Jesus told to the congregation that followed Him, and explained the details to His disciples. Jesus had said also to the disciples; “It is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given”. Mat. 13:11. May we pursue and Appreciate the privilege of understanding these parables, as the people of God. We have been brought into an everlasting covenant by our adoption into the Family through Jesus Christ our Savior. Amen.
Parables Set 1:
THE EXPANDING KINGDOM: (Parable of the Mustard Seed and the Leaven)
Matthew 13:31-32, Mark 4:30-32, Luke 13:18-19, Mat. 13:37-50: Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is like to a grain of mustard seed, which a man took, and sowed in his field: Which indeed is the least of all seeds: but when it is grown, it is the greatest among herbs, and becometh a tree, so that the births of the air come and lodge in the branches thereof.
Mat. 13:33, Luke. 13:20-21: Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened.
- Why do you think the people in Jesus time would be very interested in hearing about the kingdom of heaven? Dan. 7:13-14, 4:26, Mat. 3:2, Are there any similarities between the times of Jesus (as Israel under the Roman rule, and our own time).
- To you, What is the kingdom of heaven?
- Discuss the emphasis of Jesus that the kingdom of heaven starts small (as the mustard seed, and as the leaven).
- Discuss the emphasis of Jesus that the mustard seed becomes a big tree (and the birds of the air come to lodge in the branches), Prov. 4:18, Hos. 14:7.
- Discuss the emphasis of Jesus that the kingdom is hid in three measures of meal (Spirit, Soul and Body) such that the WHOLE is leavened?
- What are the conditions for the growth of the kingdom in our lives? (includes – -Repentance; Obedience to the Word; Authority/Warfare; and the Evangelism/Discipline of the Nations).
Life Application (Personal Meditation and Further Reading)
* Since I was born into the kingdom of God, have I experienced real and continuous growth, as attested to by God, as known by myself, and others around us? Luke 2:52.
* How has my life contributed to the expansion of the kingdom of heaven?
CHRISTIAN HOUSE FELLOWSHIP
Ilorin – NIGERIA