I Samuel 17: 31 – 54
- David, a spiritual man in Christ
- Saul, a carnal man professing to be in Christ
- Goliath, an unbeliever
What is attitude?
Can we identify some of the attitudes to show David
was walking in the Spirit?
verses 32, 34, 36, 37, 39, 40, 45, 46, 47, 50 (Col. 2:14 – 15)
vs 52; After David’s act of faith, strengthens and renews others faith.
David hanged the head of Goliath in Jerusalem in the stronghold of the Jebusites. Why will David do this?
Can we identify those attitudes to show Saul was a man of the flesh? Verses: 33, 38, 39, 55, 56, 58
Can we identify some of those attitudes of Goliath? Verses 41, 42, 43,44, 48
The Philistines have the monopoly of iron smelting, the Israelites became experts in sling shots. The stones are flung at about 200km/h after making them to gain momentum by whirling over the head severally and then releasing them. The landing force for a 2” or 3” diameter stone is that it can crush a bone. Palestinians regularly use fling shots against the Israeli Defense Forces in riots at the West Bank.
From this encounter, 2 things are clear
- The Philistines (uncircumcised) are intruders in the land of Canaan. Canaan was designed to be a place of rest, but the enemy turned it into a place of battle. The Bible says therefore there remaineth a place of rest, Heb.4: 9. The enemy has been defeated in Christ.
- The Philistines are to be exterminated. They are a hostile, warlike and uncircumcised. As long as they are around, they will be a thorn in Israel
- As long as Goliath holds Israel (Church) at bay, he is a reproach and a disgrace. They are the armies of the living God yet being terrorized by the uncircumcised. We are not to make peace with them. Remember Joshua and the Gibeonites.
- The Goliaths apart from being a reproach, they make mockery of the living God
At the time of this battle the Philistines were in control of western seacoast and mountains, iron smelting; they had power and things going well for them. There is no reason to retain God in their minds. Jehovah is not an option.
Can we identify some Goliaths in our lives; Jealousy, pride or ego, lust, our rights, etc. These Goliaths must be completely destroyed “Killed”, God is teaching us that out of Death comes the Resurrection Power.
Goliaths may be within, but they have no right, the land is ours.
- Why did David take 5 stones and not just one?
- Compare David’s attitude and performance in the things of God
We are the temple of the living God and no Goliath is permitted to mock or taunt us.
Ilorin House Fellowship