COUNTING THE COST
We discussed the parables of the Hidden Treasure and the One Goodly Pearl – in relation to the priceless kingdom of heaven. A young man could not follow on as a disciple of Christ, because he could not sell his goods, give to the poor and have treasures in heaven (Matt 19:16-30). We continue this lesson on “Counting the Cost of Following Christ”.
Parables set 3:
Parables of Building a Tower and Waging war against another king)
And there went great multitudes with him: and He turned, and said unto them, If any man come to me and hate not his father, and mother, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. And whoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.
- For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and countest the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it? Lest haply, after he hath laid the foundation, and is not able to finish it, all that behold it begin to mock him, saying, this man began to build, and was not able to finish.
- Or what king, going to make war against another king, sitteth not down first and consulteth whether he be able with ten thousand to meet him that cometh against him with twenty thousand? Or else while the other is yet a great way off, he sendeth an ambassage, and desireth conditions of peace. So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be disciple.
Part 1 – parable of the Building of the Tower
- What does Tower mean? Examples: Surpass; Exceed; Transcend; Outstrip; Outdo; Outclass
- Who is THE TOWER? 2 Sam 22:3; Psalm 18:2; Psalm 61:3; Psalm 144:2; Proverbs 18:10
- Explain how those in the kingdom of heaven could be referred to as “towers” or “mountains”? Jeremiah 6:27; Micah 4:1-8; 2 Corinthians 3:2-3; Hebrews 3:1-6
- What is the significance of this parable of building a tower in relation to the kingdom of Heaven? Matthew 5:20; Luke 11:33; Isa 40:9; Ezekiel 17:23; Joel 3:13-18; Micah 4:1-2; Zechariah 8:1-3
- What is the foundation of this tower? What is the finishing of the tower? Discuss the cost that will be associated with following on with the Lord, after the foundation is built for the tower e.g. Matthew 8:18-22; Luke 9:61-62;
Life Application (Personal Meditation and Further Reading)
- What lack is threatening to slow down or stop the building of Gods TOWER in our lives?
- Is it time to count the cost of obtaining what is needed? (2 Timothy 2:20-21)